27 February 2010

Drawn

A sketch of me lays open on his desk.
my face staring back.

he is in the middle of other projects.
he told me about this sunset he sketched out the other day;
he said it was one of those pieces you couldn't help but smile at
even though you'd made it yourself.

he said "sunsets are beautiful,
you can capture those colors a million times,
twist them on the canvass, coax them like prodding coals with a stick
and they will never stop burning"

His sunsets show the way things should be.
His sketch of me as well, it's me, but it's a little bit more y'know?
it's potential: dreamt, breathed and drawn

and I guess that's why I keep climbing the steps to his studio.
to see how things should be.
to see what my face looks like
staring back

2 comments:

  1. Very vivid Trevor. I am enjoying the visuals that this piece gives me. "twist them on the canvass..." Beautiful.

    This criticism is probably pure rubbish, but line 3 of stanza 4 is a bit of a letdown. You get three words to make the poem climax. It seems to me these three words should themselves breathe, create space, and make us hold our breath. Your final paragraph is an incredible finish. It exhales, and we exhale along with it. You've got three words to propel us forward to the end. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang dude. this is really great.

    ReplyDelete