17 December 2013

a birth story

These are the stories that are told. 
Stories of pain and moaning,
grasping and bleeding, fear and
jubilant relief. These are good stories.
A currency to be traded in kind.

But they are not mine.

I could hear you coming for days.  
Winston, you gregarious fat man.
Your piquant smile a knife.
Stone-of-Joy standing 
jauntily upon the world's
last island. wielding pen and 
voice at the black dragon, its mouth 
full of fear and ashes.

I could see you for hours.
Leander, Swimming your Hellespont,
and as your face appeared 
it was blue as the waves, 
and your eyes darker still
for Medusa's blood filled snakes 
were wrapped round and round your neck.
Lion-Heart you clawed away the snakes and 
swam on to your Hero and her alabaster towers.

I could smell you in the air
and taste you on my lips
Waits, Watch-man.  
You back alley balladeer.
Croaking, bleating, beating the drum
of the every day miracles midst 
every day's unique misery.
Your eyes open and your mouth 
an organ of soul
You smelled of shit, blood, sweat,
and truth, 
and then you opened your 
mouth and sang it all again, and I 
believed every note.

I took you in my arms and called you
Herbert.  My own.  Blood and sweat
of my blood and sweat.  My blood flowing 
in you and yours in me forwards
and backwards through all time.
Forever Herbert. Forever my son.


4 comments:

  1. huzzah! i have read and reread it. i adore the visceral veracity of this piece. i am left with an idea that i have been witness to a something like it or been near the similar if only in my own sphere - if only within my own flesh... and again i say it - huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully written, thanks for sharing. I'm pretty sure this needs to be read over a fire in the boundary waters after draining a good bottle or two. perhaps when Winston is old enough to carry the canoe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He will grow up to be a good, good man. I'm sure of it. Nurture and nature.

    ReplyDelete