14 March 2014

Are you really this close?

-->
Are you really this close?

In the dim
You brush my elbow with your breast
and I think of the beach
and sandy elbows

I built a statue of myself at the breakfast table
Mechanically shoveling bites
Checking phone for signs of life

Your sweater wasn’t’ enough
as you mixed eggs and milk
Winter creeped up your stomach
Like a perve neighbor
who catches you unaware but doesn’t blush

with two granite eyes
I stared into that little box
Scrolling for salvation
As your hair brushed my cheek
And I thought of lines
Painted on the soccer pitch
And the smell of vinyl in grass

I noticed 
that you asked
If I noticed
and I said I had
But you didn’t believe me

And I tried to stare into your eyes
Tried to be so aware
Tried to push a memory
Of me noticing
Into your mind, 
but you wouldn’t have it

Instead you ate your eggs and wondered
Are you really this close?

3 comments: